Friday

Being an original

I have had quite a few meetings with brides lately. The holidays are fast approaching their end and it is time to start thinking about weddings again.
Planning a wedding needn't be difficult, just a lot of attention to detail and decisions to make. For instance, how much alcohol should you serve at your wedding?

Most of you, upon reading my blog, know where I stand on alcohol at a wedding. But just in case you have missed it, here are a few of my thoughts:
1. Alcohol will consume a large portion of your wedding budget if you don't get a handle on it from the very beginning.
2. A wedding is no place for keg beer--EVER!
3. A wedding is no place to show each other how hammered you can get. It is a wedding--not a drunk match.
4. A wedding is a place to honor your guests, not grope them, yell at them, cry on their shoulder, or show them how stupid you can get.
5. A wedding is no place to show your parents how much you can disrespect them by getting smashed and then flaunting it in their face-in front of their friends and neighbors.

Am I getting through? I hope so!!! I have been to so many weddings where their only goal seemed to get drunk, get obnoxious, and see how fast they could make their guests leave their event that they paid thousands of dollars for! "But all my friends are doing it!"
If I hear that comment one more time I will have to scream. "And just because your friends all do it makes it right?"
Where is your sense of right? Your specialness of the day? Your originality? Cookie-cutter weddings is what I call them. One size fits all. Kind of takes all the fun out of it, doesn't it?

No comments: