Monday

Class and weddings

When I blog, I talk about weddings, events and the way society reacts to these celebrations. They are my observations; my opinions. After 30+ years, I hope that I have a little insight--not much--but a little that helps me be a better person overall. The goal of any event is a celebration of some sorts whether it be an anniversary party, birthday party, wedding, corporate or business event. People come to these gatherings and where there are people, there is a diverse number of personalities. Not everyone is the same, so too is any event--they are all different.

But, the basic premise of any event is the same: taking care of your guests. If it is business related, then corporations bring in lunch, hand out pens and paper and give their attendees breaks in between sessions. If it is a birthday bash, we serve cake and something to drink and maybe play a game or have some music on in the background; same thing for a wedding.

Why do we do this? Because if we don't, no one will show up! We all have busy lifestyles and life pulls us in any number of directions. Keep a guest satisfied and happy and they stay. Bore them with needless stupidity and they leave in search of something better to spend their time on. Lesson to learn? Pay attention to the details---they make a difference.

Paper hand towels in a washroom does not class make. Neither does serving the most expensive wine, hiring the most expensive DJ or generally spending thousands of dollars on any event. Class comes when one pays attention to the details that makes a difference in the lives of its guests. Making one comfortable, happy, safe and peaceful makes for a first rate event, classy in every way. Details and class go hand in hand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cynthia,

My friend asked me to help her with some decorating ideas for a bridal shower. Can you give me some pointers? The bridal shower will take place in her home. I would like to decorate her home in a classy/modern setting and without paying a lot of money. The bridal colors are red and gray.

Thank you for your help.
KY

Weddings in Iowa said...

KY, I love your color scheme. Have you thought about hanging red chinese lanterns above the table and using gray linens trimmed with red? I would use white plates for the relief color and keep everything simple and clean. If you have the time and the money, you might want to make some coordinating throw pillows for the seating area and add a couple of red throws. I would use masses of red carnations in gray ribbon-wrapped low bowls to set all over, adding splashes of color and texture. Their spicy fragrance would compliment your event as well. Have fun!