- The phrase, ""Often a bridesmaid, but never a bride," orgininates from a 1924 advertisement for Listerine. The Company created an ad campaign centered on the fear of bad breath in a social situation, the most popular being a commercial depicting "Edna," who at nearly 30, was still single due to bad breath.
- The first weddings comprised of a groom taking his bride by capture. He would take her somewhere hidden away so her relatives and villagers couldn't find them. There they stayed for one moon phase and drank mead, a wine make from honey, to make them more amorous. Thus, the word "honeymoon" was born.
- The wedding ring has traditionally been worn on the third finger of the left hand because it was believed that a vein in this finger ran directly to the heart.
- 19 % of all Engagements occur in December.
- Destination Weddings Now Account for 15% of all weddings & are growing rapidly.
- Average # of Guests for Destination Weddings = 56
- Average Age for New Brides 27 & 29 for Grooms
- 35% of Destination Weddings are Beach Weddings
- Every year an average of 2.4 million weddings are performed in the U.S.
- The Wedding Industry is a 50 billion dollar a year industry
- The average American engagement is 16 months
- A total of $72 billion is spent on weddings annually in the U.S.
- The average amount spent on a bridal gown is $800
- The average ring costs $2,000
Fun Bridal facts to stump your friends are always fun. Here are a few that I didn't know, so I am sure you will find them as interesting as I did. Have some of your own to share? I love hearing them!