Friday

Respect for each other

My father taught me that respect for each other and property is very important.
I have tried to live up to his teachings, learning a few of my own along the way. Respect is important, I totally agree, but I think that one must earn respect as well.

For instance, I had a couple that thought only of themselves during their wedding planning. I tried to visit with them about their guest's point of view, feelings and thought process, but their take was that their guests were coming to see them and that they could have it their way completely. I agree to a point; it is your day, but it is also a day in the life of your guest. Once the day is gone, it cannot be retrieved---it is history. Why you wouldn't want to make a difference in that one day, treating your guests as treasured people that they are is beyond me, but this couple had the "it-is-all-about-me" syndrome. Needless to say, over their half their guests left by 9 pm and the ones that stayed are the ones that should have left early!

Many of their guests are still cool to them when they see them socially and the couple has confessed that they wish they would have done some things differently; it wasn't worth the hurt feelings that have persisted into the future.

A wedding is more than a simple celebration and gathering of people. It is a symbol of two lives starting as one. It is a celebration with those who are near and dear to you and probably the only time you will ever have so many people massed together that you are responsible for. A wedding binds, gives joy, meaning and cohesion to a family. You are joining two families together-a wondrous occasion. Give each guest and the celebration the respect that it deserves.

No comments: